I'm making an album!
04-09-2018, 07:52 PM
I'm making an album!
Now that I've caught your attention, let me explain.

Yes, it is true. I do have an idea for an album on mind that I plan on bringing into fruition. I've mentioned this with Johnnyfootballhero, but I'm going to need all the help I can get.

The title? "Norton Sings Nelson". (<---my last name)

Original, right? No? I know. As the name suggests, it's a Sean Nelson cover album, featuring songs from Harvey Danger, Sounds Major, Society of the Golden West, and others. The unofficial track listing is below:

1. All Time Low
2. Pike St./Park Slope
3. Born Without A Heart
4. Little Round Mirrors
5. Shark
6. Exile On Baker Street
7. The World Owes Me A Living (And I Intend To Collect)
8. Anyone/Anything
9. Wine, Women, And Song
10. Creative Differences
11. Powers Of Suggestion
12. Brooklyn Bridge
13. What You Live By
14. Moral Centralia
15. Defrocked
16. My Human Interactions

Of course, I'm not going to dive headfirst into recording a studio album. Before I do anything, I'll have to record demos, of which I have a "demo reel" planned:

1. Shark
2. Little Round Mirrors
3. Creative Differences
4. Defrocked

(Probably not in that order, but those are the main four I'm planning on including in this demo EP.)

Let me know what you think, and please help me out in any way possible. Big Grin

Help, I've run out of obscure references to put as my signature. Sad
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2018, 06:23 PM
RE: I'm making an album!
(04-09-2018 07:52 PM)batfan01 Wrote:  Now that I've caught your attention, let me explain.

Yes, it is true. I do have an idea for an album on mind that I plan on bringing into fruition. I've mentioned this with Johnnyfootballhero, but I'm going to need all the help I can get.

The title? "Norton Sings Nelson". (<---my last name)

Original, right? No? I know. As the name suggests, it's a Sean Nelson cover album, featuring songs from Harvey Danger, Sounds Major, Society of the Golden West, and others. The unofficial track listing is below:

1. All Time Low
2. Pike St./Park Slope
3. Born Without A Heart
4. Little Round Mirrors
5. Shark
6. Exile On Baker Street
7. The World Owes Me A Living (And I Intend To Collect)
8. Anyone/Anything
9. Wine, Women, And Song
10. Creative Differences
11. Powers Of Suggestion
12. Brooklyn Bridge
13. What You Live By
14. Moral Centralia
15. Defrocked
16. My Human Interactions

Of course, I'm not going to dive headfirst into recording a studio album. Before I do anything, I'll have to record demos, of which I have a "demo reel" planned:

1. Shark
2. Little Round Mirrors
3. Creative Differences
4. Defrocked

(Probably not in that order, but those are the main four I'm planning on including in this demo EP.)

Let me know what you think, and please help me out in any way possible. Big Grin

Lots of non-album cuts here (which is fine), but no Merrymakers? It's a good list, but that's what I noticed.

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.
04-11-2018, 06:29 PM
Quote:Lots of non-album cuts here (which is fine), but no Merrymakers? It's a good list, but that's what I noticed.

I was thinking about covering Radio Silence, but my voice doesn't go that high.

Covering the loud bit of Little Round Mirrors will probably be a bitch do to..

04-12-2018, 08:20 AM
(04-11-2018 06:29 PM)batfan01 Wrote:  I was thinking about covering Radio Silence, but my voice doesn't go that high.
Covering the loud bit of Little Round Mirrors will probably be a bitch do to..

Change the key to suit your voice! Sounds like a delightful, fun idea, and I wish you well on the project. Who knows where such exertions will lead for you?

That's a lot of Sherman tanks!
04-12-2018, 11:27 AM
Quote:Change the key to suit your voice! Sounds like a delightful, fun idea, and I wish you well on the project. Who knows where such exertions will lead for you?

That might work. Another thing I want to take into consideration is (get ready for it) outdo Sean. In Nelson Sings Nilsson, Sean outdid Nilsson's music so greatly that I can no longer listen to Harry Nilsson's music without afterwards hearing Sean's cover of it.

Listen to "Daddy's Song", then Sean's cover of it. Notice the MASSIVE difference there? That's what I'm trying to do, which is much easier said than done, seeing as Sean is a musical genius.

04-12-2018, 12:33 PM
(04-12-2018 11:27 AM)batfan01 Wrote:  Another thing I want to take into consideration is (get ready for it) outdo Sean. In Nelson Sings Nilsson, Sean outdid Nilsson's music so greatly that I can no longer listen to Harry Nilsson's music without afterwards hearing Sean's cover of it.

I'd encourage you to think of it less as "outdoing" and more as "interpreting in your own way". It will feel more achievable, and it ultimately means the same thing. Any song with good bones (and both Nilsson and Nelson are songwriters whose work usually has good bones) can be made to work with any number of interesting and valuable interpretations.

That's a lot of Sherman tanks!
04-23-2018, 08:11 PM
(04-12-2018 11:27 AM)batfan01 Wrote:  outdo Sean

Lofty!

CAUTION: Over the weekend, a short psychic escaped from police custody.
He is to be considered a small medium at large.