Lost/Rare HD Stuff
02-27-2018, 05:42 PM
Lost/Rare HD Stuff
(I should have put the Betacam SP thing in this thread, but whatever. Read thread if you're interested, because it won't be mentioned on here.)

Discovering old HD material when I first got into the band was always amazing, because there was this realm of unreleased material I had no idea existed. I still enjoy looking for rarities that most people are unaware of. Some of them include but are not limited to:

The 1994 and 1996 demo tape: Okay, I know we all know about these, but the reason I'm putting this on this list is because of how unacknowledged it is by anyone outside of the HD fanbase. Neither of these tapes are publicly available in stores, and although all songs are available online (except Heroine With an E and the Carjack Fever demo, which I should upload somewhere later), the tapes themselves are lost to the void...mostly.

Circuit City EP: Well, I guess it isn't that lost, but iirc there are only 5,000 copies in the world, but most of them are probably in landfills somewhere. I got mine from eBay, and I was almost pissing myself, I was that excited to find one for a low price.

B-Sides: This is a 3-track EP that contains My Human Interactions, Plague of Locusts, and Defrocked. It's pretty much the Circuit City EP but with a different design. It looks like this: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4QEAAOSws...-l1600.jpg

In-Store Play Sampler: This was a promotional CD that featured Flagpole Sitta, as well as Sad Sweetheart of the Rodeo, Authenticity, Thrilling Conversation, and Loyalty Bldg. The entire album is available on YouTube, but also exists on CD format. The promotional CD was to announce KJV's release.

King James Version Promotional CD: Similar to B-Sides, this has the exact same track listing and mix as KJV. It was available for purchase at varying Harvey Danger and Death Cab for Cutie concerts and has different artwork. https://ssli.ebayimg.com/images/g/rSEAAO...-l1600.jpg

Flagpole Sitta b/w Private Helicopter: No, that wasn't a typo. Flagpole Sitta, at one point, was backed with Private Helicopter. The B-Side had a misprint on it, claiming that the artist's name was "Carlotta Valdez" instead of "Harvey Danger".

Sad Sweetheart of the Rodeo (Radio Edit): This was the promotional CD single for SSotR, which featured only the Radio Edit and the Album Version of the song. I'm not sure if the band tried to publicize this or not.

Private Helicopter CD single: It's the same as the CD mentioned above but with Private Helicopter. The background of the CD cover features the house from WHATMMG, which I find pretty interesting.

Various Flagpole Sitta promotional CDs:
European version: https://img.discogs.com/YL5ZgVQE___N7B48...7.jpeg.jpg

Top 40 Version: https://img.discogs.com/nzIcw527Z5UQ6buy...6.jpeg.jpg

CD Promo: https://img.discogs.com/eFOa9NmZmhrlpQW5...9.jpeg.jpg

Another CD Promo: http://www.vinylvendors.com/Pictures/h/a...225392.jpg

There's too many of these.

Unreleased Stuff: Like the demo tapes, this is relatively well-known within the board, but stays anonymous outside the Harvey Danger fanbase. I recently burned the tracks onto a blank CDr and wrote "HD- Unreleased Stuff" on it and called it a day, but the reason I don't have it featured in my CD collection is because it is not an official Harvey Danger release. Does this still exist? This was Jeff's project, right? I have so many questions about this...

Well, this just about does it. Smile

Help, I've run out of obscure references to put as my signature. Sad
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2018, 06:36 PM
RE: Lost/Rare HD Stuff
"Official" gets to be kind of a slippery word for a list like this... You'll have to define what that means, in the context of why you care... And that definition will probably be a little different for every collector or fan. I will say only that if you end up trying to catalog every single thing fabricated by a record label that had a band's name and music on it, you'd be likely to bore yourself to tears. Smile

By the way, the Flagpole b/w Helicopter is a 7" jukebox single, which is why it's sort of a double-A-side. It wasn't distributed retail. Who knew they still had vinyl jukeboxes playing top 40 in ~1998?

That's a lot of Sherman tanks!
02-27-2018, 07:08 PM
Quote:"Official" gets to be kind of a slippery word for a list like this... You'll have to define what that means, in the context of why you care... And that definition will probably be a little different for every collector or fan.

Official as in being published by the band itself and/or their record labels. The demo tapes and Unreleased Stuff were published by the band but are not on record.

Help, I've run out of obscure references to put as my signature. Sad
02-28-2018, 08:35 PM
OK, couple things:

this is the first I've ever heard of B-sides, but you posted a picture of it! Proof there's still stuff for us to discover.

Harvey Danger sold promos of King James Version at concerts? I have that, signed by Aaron, but I definitely didn't get it at a concert.

Last, I'm just gonna repost lyrics to my favorite song they recorded but never released. No, I don't have it and have never heard it because it's never circulated, but boy, do the words resurface in my head sometimes.

You shouldn't lie to her
She said you always were
Scars obscured by sleeves
Good gardens fight the weeds

Life with you is such an inspiration
purges all my evil memory
calmed and steadied by your warm devotion
ease the fist clenched up inside of me
I'm digging you in the garden
I'm calling you on the phone
This part of me makes me whole

You forget the vows you said
when the heart misleads the head
It seemed like, it seemed like such a good idea

Matrimony is acrimony
temptation fighting two by two
You never told me you were such a phony
don't fight in front of you know who
Gangrene, cut circulation
ring finger severed, flesh and bone
she sure can take a punch, man
she makes a house a home

In my head, in my head
Richer poorer, bitter, bled
In my head, in my head
Yes, I do
Well, you did, too
To have and to hold
as permanent as snow

You shouldn't lie to her
She never knew you were

We can talk about it later
But there's no later
Is there?
03-01-2018, 05:06 PM
those lyrics are excellent. didn't expect to see a lyric about gangrene show up in there!

i remember finding the circuit city EP in a discount bin at a local record store in 2001 or 2002. i had no idea it existed, it was such a rad surprise. those are still some of my favorite HD songs. i also have the flagpole/helicopter 7", though i wish i could find a copy of the 7" with pity and fear on the b-side. i want to listen to that on vinyl! sure, it's gotta be on discogs, but i'd rather find it in a store somewhere. the thrill of digging and all that.