Betacam SP?
02-27-2018, 04:20 PM
Betacam SP?
I was browsing through Discogs earlier (which is something I seem to do a lot lately) and came across a miniature VHS with what I can only assume is the music video for Flagpole Sitta.

https://www.discogs.com/Harvey-Danger-Fl...e/11331872

It's likely that there's only one or two of these out there in the world, because it wasn't sold at shows. You're not gonna go to a concert and expect them to have tiny VHS'es for sale. Anyway, the Discogs page provided doesn't give a whole lot of info on this piece. Do these also exist for Private Helicopter, Save it for Later, etc? And where are they now?

Help, I've run out of obscure references to put as my signature. Sad
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2018, 04:46 PM
RE: Betacam SP?
(02-27-2018 04:20 PM)batfan01 Wrote:  I was browsing through Discogs earlier (which is something I seem to do a lot lately) and came across a miniature VHS with what I can only assume is the music video for Flagpole Sitta.

Yeah, this would be a tape with the music video on it. It's not VHS-- it's a Betacam SP tape, which was a Sony format used for broadcast and pro media in the era before modern digital distribution of content. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betacam#Betacam_SP. And the discogs release you point to indicates a PAL (British/European) format, versus the NTSC analog format used in the US.

In short, there's nothing really special about this and it's not any sort of official release by the band themselves-- it's just a tape that contained the music video and was distributed in this form presumably to television networks, etc, who would have been showing the video at the time. Who knows how many such things existed, but at the time, probably many (and I bet very few would still be around with the original content). Were you to come across one, it would indeed be likely to have a particularly high quality copy of the video on it, but beyond that, I'm not sure what you'd do with it. And yes, presumably they would have existed for the other distributed videos as well.

That's a lot of Sherman tanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply